atoast2toast.com

impatient, obnoxious, petty, argumentative, and obsessed over meaningless details

adolf hipster

A list of Bukowski quotes got me reading about the beat generation. This in turn led to hipsters.

hipsterism fetishizes the authentic” elements of all of the “fringe movements of the postwar era—beat, hippie, punk, even grunge,” and draws on the “cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity”, and “regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity.”

adolf on his way to the organic market in temple bar

29 responses to “adolf hipster

1. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Hipsters just take everything so seriously.

I’m waiting for the film where the hipster girl from NCAD is swept off her feet by a cheesemeister lacoste polo shirt wearing red sports car driving wanker from South County Dublin called Rory.

• atoast2toast January 23, 2011 at 3:12 pm

You have to think of the demographics of the target audience if such a movie was going to be successful. I fear that the only ones who would want to watch a movie about hipsters would be other hipsters. They would grudgingly reccomend it to their friends just so they can say how much they disliked the ones in the movie. They would be outraged by the plot you have proposed. The other people watch expose and would think it is a bit too wierd. Maybe a side plot on 90210 has already covered this sort of thing.

I saw both sides of the hipster and polos shirt sides of society last night. I was at a bar where there were a lot of art girls and an awful smell of puke. I thought that it could not be possible that one person could have produced such a smell. Then I was at a bar where there were 2 people wearing vests – one was a navy ralph lauren. Neither place was fun and both were full of posers.

In the past at least when people were shameless scensters with pointy shoes and the works they may have done it knowing they would have a life of money but they would be cool. The longer they convinced themselves and their friends that their shit was cool then everyone believed it and nobody would bring unwanted attention to their obessive record buying and changing wardobve. Nowadays it is just a column of the 5 choices people have in school to differentiate themelves, or not as the case may be.

2. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I was at “Black Swan” last night, and was struck by the number of teenage boys in the audience. It was suggested to me by my companion (who wouldn’t allow me to go to the loo when waiting outside in case people might think he was there to see the film ~of his own free will) that they were there to pick up chicks but they seemed to reallly enjoy the film, as did he, particularly once the heroine started ahem, exploring her sexuality. I didn’t see any hipsters though.

I think there’s too much uniformity in the way people present themselves, although I was a bit young to participate I remember in the 80s all these different groups around, for a long time it was just preppy or (sorry) knacker, I guess the hipsters are at least a new group, but just as cliched as the old ones.

I think non-hipsters would watch the movie if the girl were hot enough. There must be hot hipster chicks out there, behind the black-framed glasses.

• atoast2toast January 23, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I would not be surprised that lots people want to see it. It generated a lot of fuss and ballet people were going on record to say how unrealistic it was. I was glad to know that feathers cannot grow out of a schizophrenic ballerina.

This movie was developed from leftovers of the wrestler:

I realised that I should never see another Aronofsky movie in the cinema after Requiem for a dream. In case you have not seen it Jennifer Connolly co-stars in in a less than glamorous role as a drug addict. Someone left tv3 on in my house today and a repeat of Expose was on. I let it on in the background and caught an interview of her. The interviewer was asking her about babies and afterwards said after she did’nt think the actress liked her that much.

There are attractive hipster girls, especially among the younger age bracket. It may be that the hard drinking and smoking lifestyle takes years off a hipster. It may also be that it is a look for younger people to adopt for a while and it soon wears off, unlike the 50 year old heavy metallers who are committed.

You are talking about what are known as art-fag glasses. When people other than morrissey started to wear them the end was nigh.

As far as your companion goes I supsect he didn’t want anyone thinking he was going to see it on his own …

3. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I don’t think most actors like the people who are interviewing them unless they are of the opposite sex, or else much younger or older. I have not seen that film, or indeed the Wrestler. Yes, that was exactly what he said.

I was not aware that hipsters were more hard-drinking than other groups. Surely the organic veggies must help? I think the reason hipsterdom has a sell by date is that the clothes are not conducive to middle-age spread.

4. atoast2toast January 23, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Darren Aronofsky also produced “the fighter” for which Christian Bale won a golden globe. I have been a long time fan of both of those. Bale because of American Psycho, the Machinist, Harsh Times, Batman, Terminator, the Prestige, Equilibrium, Rescue Dawn.

Hipsters go to lots of scene events where you can bring your own bags of cans and/or naggin. Being able to buy organic vegetables is the dream but they are all broke and are saving up for an imac or a trip to all tomorrows parties or something so underground that you cant have heard of it because nobody has. Their favourite activity is having scenster-offs at thumped.com. I know a few people who are active on there.

5. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Bale is a great actor. I do not know many hipster women in their thirties, presumably because hipsters marry and breed young and Per Una does not do hipster clothing. The hipster dad phenomenon is however still going strong, at least until the physical effects of replacing Sunday rugby with Sunday childcare becomes apparent.

6. atoast2toast January 23, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I think your companion had confused going to the ballet with going to a movie about ballet. It was good that he enjoyed some of it. Was it the part where the heroine was masterbating in the room where her mother was asleep or the lesbian scene?

7. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm

no hipster items in marks

That’s precisely my point, once a hipster woman starts shopping in Marks there is no way back, hipstitude is gone forever, no matter how big and black her glasses. The change away from hipster seems to come with pregnancy. Presumably Urban Outfitters doesn’t do a pregnancy range. Parenthood, on the other hand, often makes men more hipstery. Perhaps they are trying to prove something to themselves.

I’m really not sure which part he enjoyed most. It’s best not to enquire into these things too closely I find.

• atoast2toast January 23, 2011 at 7:27 pm

would you find it odd that I knew per una was m&s without having to google it? I just got back from the shop in blackrock – no hipster dads there. It was just about to close and some of the cranks in the queue did not like the fact that I was buying a weeks shopping there and all they wanted to do was get a cake and get out.

8. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Per Una is M & S’s most popular clothing line. If you shop in Blackrock I’m not surprised you know about Per Una since that’s all there is in M & S there apart from food. Blackrock women over 25 wear nothing but Per Una behind the wheels of their SUVs and no, they do not like to be kept waiting. Especially by a single man. All their men are properly trained and do the shopping for them on Sunday morning.

9. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 7:45 pm

That is, if they trust them to shop alone. Many Blackrock women treat their husbands as if they suffer from mild mental retardation. The husbands respond by behaving in kind.

• atoast2toast January 23, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I only know one person from Blackrock and he is a pointy shoe wearing hipster. I cannot really comment on how the men are treated but it sounds shocking.

• sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Yes it is. I try to avoid Blackrock for that reason. Most of the couples are of culchie origin and I can’t help feeling that the men would be happier on the farm but they have to work in banks & so forth to pay for their stay at home wife’s Avoca card and of course the SUV. And of course upward mobility requires they replace GAA with rugby. Meanwhile the women power walk every morning and run book clubs and so forth. It’s very sad – a bit like Stepford husbands,

10. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I agree not many middle-aged hipsters in Blackrock. They tend to be found more in Ranelagh and Rialto.

11. atoast2toast January 23, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I work on the north side and there is nowhere nearby that sells food that a human should be eating so I bring my own. I am addicted to m&s lettuce but I end up buying other stuff in there too. I bought toilet paper in there once and I got slagged off by the person who sent me ‘adolf hipster’.

The shop on Grafton st is a frenzy and if you go to Dundrum you have the whole horrible experience to deal with – the car park, the country people who are constantly lost, the insane heated environment of consumerism and self-improvement through ugg boots. If Dundrum reflects the here and now of Irish society then the punches of the future are being telegraphed via Blackrock.

• sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 8:10 pm

M & S is a bit beyond my budget – buying M &S toilet paper for everyday use is just wasteful, unless you have a very sensitive bottom. As stated above, I find Blackrock profoundly depressing with its broken down blood sucked out of them men. Admittedly many of them are in their forties, but still.

• atoast2toast January 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I bought tin foil today so that I didn’t have to go to tesco, and a bottle of balsamic vinegar, another one of my indulgences.

That is a grim picture you paint – the poor bastards

12. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Grim, but true. Next time you’re buying your kitchen roll, have a thought for some of those poor bastards. Apparently the wives send them to Lidl for toilet roll, so that they can have their twice weekly-blow dry at Hair Creations in the Superquinn centre. Meanwhile the wives use the high-quality toilet roll (the one with the puppies) in their private en suites (which the husbands are never alllowed to enter), particularly if the wife might be naked or semi-naked. Be thankful that you, a single man, only have to wipe your own ass. Never move to Blackrock, particularly if married. It takes a stronger man than I expect you are to take a stand against that sort of thing.

• atoast2toast January 23, 2011 at 8:36 pm

the bitches, they would probably wipe their arses with the husbands puppy if they got a chance. I have no plans on moving there. I sometimes go cycling through in the summer or to superquinn for bread but thats about it . I really dont need to hear entire conversations of the word “like” and to see wannabee members of cast of ‘the Hills’.

13. sdaedalus January 23, 2011 at 9:00 pm

But @aToast2Toast, most of the husbands really are very happy. One of the reasons for having a wife is so that you have someone to run your life for you. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

Also, the husbands are not allowed to have puppies. They make a mess on the light beige carpet.

I think you’re safe enough in Blackrock. Why would the wives want to go through the whole retraining process again. And the daughters are too young to be looking for husbands. At this point they’re still training for the careers that they will give up in a a few years when they get to be too much work and/or they get too old for the new boys in the office to convincingly flirt with.

Also, I do exaggerate a little, you don’t want to take everything I say too seriously. On the plus side, all these women can cook, courtesy of Ballymaloe House evening classes. I’m most probably jealous.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.